Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (Clearification)

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     >> I'm beginning to think Caldera just doesn't get it.  Their
>     >> "available to anybody no-redistribution beta" program including
>     >> GPLed software, Windows-style "last OS you'll ever have the
>     >> nerve to install" installers....
>
>     Marc> I don't know what you're saying here.
>
> Windows-style installers, you've confirmed.  It may be a good
> marketing strategy to catch Windows users, and I suppose that's a good
> thing.  But I won't recommend them to my mother (still a Windows user).

would you recommend that your mother reinstall Windows, either?  I think
that Windows is getting off pretty easy in this whole argument,
considering that most people never need to deal with its installer.  Linux
gets this bad rap (and fBSD too) for being hard to use due to the
installer, but...

Now, if you had a system with Linux preinstalled on it and you tried to
*add Windows* to it, I think that would be significantly more difficult
than the normal way of adding Linux to a Windows system... opinions?

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691