Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On Sat, Sep 09, 2023 at 11:28:01AM +0900, lain. wrote:
> On 2023年09月08日 19:48, the silly David J Iannucci claimed to have said:

> In my experience, which one works depends on the distro/OS you're using.
> I'm using Fcitx5 + Mozc on Artix Linux, because it just works.
>
> But on Crux, Mozc is uncompilable due to so many moving parts that are
> just missing, and recently a Japanese ports maintainer has added Fcitx5
> and Anthy to their ports collection, so I installed that, and it works.
>
> On OpenBSD, neither Mozc nor Fcitx5 work, so I'm using UIM + Anthy on
> that one.
> And it's annoying, because UIM treats the IME window as a separate
> window, and since I'm using a tiling window manager, I have no idea what
> I'm typing until I press enter.

I use fcitx-anthy or fcitx-kkc on OpenBSD without problem.
Again see my page if the combo interests you. It's not fcitx5 though.
https://srobb.net/jpninpt.html#OpenBSD

> On another note, to input Japanese, you'll need to use Xorg, because
> I've never had any success getting IME to work on Wayland, and Wayland
> has been pretty much alpha quality software for 16 years anyway, but
> hard to say that to the true Wayland believers, because they will
> absolutely cancel me over that.

I *think* I've managed to use ibus-anthy in Fedora's default Workstation
with Wayland, but wouldn't swear to it. If I get around to testing it, I'll
come back and report. But I could easily be wrong, and I don't feel like
installing FC workstation again to check.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6