Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 07:48:23PM -0600, David J Iannucci wrote:
> Haha.... how many times has this sort of thing come up and been rehashed
> over the decades? :=)
>
> It has been many years since I've had a Japanese input method installed
> on my machine. Because I'm never writing very much J text at one time,
> I've just been using the converter in Google Translate(情ないなぁ)
>
> But now I feel the need to do my own local input again. All I'm looking
> for here is your thoughts on what are the best FOSS software components
> for J input in 2023... including in that judgement the degree to which
> they are continuing to be developed, if you think that's relevant.
> I think I can handle the installation on my Gentoo box, so no need to
> comment on that unless you think there's something tricky involved that
> I'd have trouble figuring out on my own, along with googling.
>
> Fcitx, ibus, or scim? Anthy or ?, etc etc....?

While self praise is no praise, I still like my page on Japanese input,
https://srobb.net/jpninpt.html

It mainly focuses on fcitx with a Gentoo section (that hasn't been updated
since 2017).

If using Gnome, Ibus is probably easier, and in RHEL9, I think it's all
that's available. However, I stopped using it around FreeBSD-9 or 10, when
I found I had to have a little script to get the conversion going.  Fcitx,
especially for a window manager, vs a DE, is my input engine of choice.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6