Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On 2023年09月09日 13:57, the silly Yasuaki Kudo claimed to have said:
> The default IME for Japanese is Mozc for ubuntu 23.

That's the engine, but I meant more like fcitx, uim, scim, and so on.

> As for my choice of Ubuntu, yes I also once gave up anything like Debian-based and switched to NixOS and then Guix.

No experience with either of these 2, but I know that NixOS is an
immutable distro, so operations are very different from a freedom
respecting Linux distro.
As for Guix, that one uses a Linux-libre kernel, which will only work
properly on hardware with all 100% free hardware components and
firmware.
CPU, GPU, BIOS, just everything needs to be free, and this list is very
barebones.

> * Ubuntu has become the Windows OS for computer programmers, surpassing even Windows itself😄. (Unless you are programming for Win or Mac specifically.  Even then, for my recent .NET project, I did half of the development on dot-net-standard-2.0, which works on Linux!)

Any Linux distro is orders of magnitute better for programming just
about anything.
Speaking of programming specifically for Windows, this guy did exactly
that on Linux:
https://youtube.owacon.moe/watch?v=EB96Auoag6g

> * Starting with VSCode, Ubuntu is the Microsoft's go to Linux distribution, so there are many officially supported packages and documents.

I'm more of a Vim user, VSCode always frustrates me, because it's just
so damn complex.

> * My personal data like email and passwords are all on the servers anyway so it is trivial to reinstall latest Ubuntu from clean slate periodically

Horrible security practise.

> * Because Ubuntu and Debian have so many users, it is trivial to get the right command lines for configuration using Chat GPT(ver4)

You can tell it for example "How do I make a sandwich on OpenBSD?", and
it'll tell you to do "doas pkg_add sandwich" instead of "sudo apt
install sandwich".
It won't literally tell you how to make a sandwich on a computer, just
an example.

> So it has been perplexing twists and turns but I settled with Ubuntu 😄

As I already said, if it works for you, then use that.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html