Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On 2023-09-09 11:28, lain. wrote:
On another note, to input Japanese, you'll need to use Xorg, because
I've never had any success getting IME to work on Wayland, and Wayland
has been pretty much alpha quality software for 16 years anyway, but
hard to say that to the true Wayland believers, because they will
absolutely cancel me over that.

Exactly this, over all aspects. If you go with stock Ubuntu, even with
Wayland + XDG ways work well. If you install things yourself, nothing
works, not only because of Wayland, but also all other sudden breaking
behavior changes those are hard to trace and fix (xdg-desktop-portals
and such).

That said, I've recently managed to get my input methods barely working
enough on Sway + mozc + fcitx, on Alpine Linux. Had to compile some
myself, had to use mozc's fork of fcitx (which is thankfully somewhat
maintained).

Of course other stuff are still horribly broken, like being able to
take screenshots, or ability to manage permissions for that, so we can
say we're one step further than what we had in Xorg in terms of security.

I will try fresh take on the whole desktop setup again soon though,
some things could have been improved since last time I've tried.

Furkan Mustafa
https://rainlab.co.jp

Home | Main Index | Thread Index