Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

On 2023年09月09日 12:09, the silly Yasuaki Kudo claimed to have said:
> I use plain ubuntu 23 and the default Japanese input that comes with it (when you select Japanese input in settings ) works just fine😄

However, do you even know what your IME is called?
And what if Canonical while in a bad mood decides to replace it or just
remove it?
This is the main problem I have with Ubuntu in general, many users just
use whatever is in reach, which leads to side effects like the
following:

> I have not been able to figure out how to switch from A to あ to ア though, without using mouse clicking.
> (The normal Windows Alt + tilde does not work...)

Most likely this is configurable.
I don't know what Ubuntu uses as its default CJK IME, last time I used
Ubuntu or any of its derivatives was Ubuntu 9.04, moved to Arch btw back
in 2009, since I just got tired of my system just breaking every time a
system upgrade got available, and learned so much about Linux's inner
workings from then on.

Not saying you should switch, if you're happy with Ubuntu, that's
totally fine, everyone should use the right tool for their purpose.
If you're just an office clerk, or someone who doesn't want to worry too
much about the system itself, then Ubuntu is fine.
But if you're like me who really wants to truly understand Unix from the
inside out, then Ubuntu is a massive roadblock to me.

Anyway, if you can tell me what IME you're using, I might see what can
be done to get it to work the way you want it to.
BTW, are you on a Japanese keyboard, or US International?

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html