Re: [tlug] Input methods - again!

I use plain ubuntu 23 and the default Japanese input that comes with it (when you select Japanese input in settings ) works just fine😄

I have not been able to figure out how to switch from A to あ to ア though, without using mouse clicking.

(The normal Windows Alt + tilde does not work...)

> On Sep 9, 2023, at 11:43, lain. <lain@example.com> wrote:
>
> On 2023年09月08日 19:48, the silly David J Iannucci claimed to have said:
>> But now I feel the need to do my own local input again. All I'm looking
>> for here is your thoughts on what are the best FOSS software components
>> for J input in 2023... including in that judgement the degree to which
>> they are continuing to be developed, if you think that's relevant.
>> I think I can handle the installation on my Gentoo box, so no need to
>> comment on that unless you think there's something tricky involved that
>> I'd have trouble figuring out on my own, along with googling.
>>
>> Fcitx, ibus, or scim? Anthy or ?, etc etc....?
>
> In my experience, which one works depends on the distro/OS you're using.
> I'm using Fcitx5 + Mozc on Artix Linux, because it just works.
>
> But on Crux, Mozc is uncompilable due to so many moving parts that are
> just missing, and recently a Japanese ports maintainer has added Fcitx5
> and Anthy to their ports collection, so I installed that, and it works.
>
> On OpenBSD, neither Mozc nor Fcitx5 work, so I'm using UIM + Anthy on
> that one.
> And it's annoying, because UIM treats the IME window as a separate
> window, and since I'm using a tiling window manager, I have no idea what
> I'm typing until I press enter.
>
> On another note, to input Japanese, you'll need to use Xorg, because
> I've never had any success getting IME to work on Wayland, and Wayland
> has been pretty much alpha quality software for 16 years anyway, but
> hard to say that to the true Wayland believers, because they will
> absolutely cancel me over that.
>
> --
> lain.
>
> Did you know that?
> 90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
> Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!
>
> If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
> You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc
>
> Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
> If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.
>
> My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
> For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
> https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html

Home | Main Index | Thread Index