Re: [tlug] Why Wayland?

I can definitively say Japanese input does work fine with Wayland.   I has worked for me with both Guix and Ubuntu.

What is even more, X11 doesn't work properly for my AMD graphics card (I am sure one can find the correct configuration but I never bothered 😅)

On both freshly installed Guix and Ubuntu systems, whenever I tried X11 the white background became yellowish.

(Other than the obvious lack of Nvdia's Cuda chips... I like the fact AMD works right out of the box with proprietary firmware and driver bundled with Linux kernel, unlike Nvidia)

> On Sep 9, 2023, at 15:46, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:
>
> lain. writes:
>
>> On another note, to input Japanese, you'll need to use Xorg,
>> because I've never had any success getting IME to work on Wayland,
>> and Wayland has been pretty much alpha quality software for 16
>> years
>
> That's my impression as well.  What is the attraction of Wayland,
> anyway?  It's a cool idea, building in modern graphic primitives, but
> what does it actually do better?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index