Re: [tlug] BIOS / Video Problems

> Running out of suggestions...

Me, too.  But, I am grateful for your taking time to think along with me to see what might be possible.

> But disconnecting most hardware (including HDD) will shorten the test cycle.

Yes, that was done when I ran the memtest.

> Try pressing F6 at POST, to get to the BIOS flashing?

Tried that before posting to the group.  Just tried again with the same result -- no keystrokes recognized by the system until I am at the command line.  USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard both.

> Does (any of) the keyboard(s) light up at boot (e.g. NumLock LED)?

No, but Numlock on lamp (which is a default) is lit after I reach the command line.

>On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps your motherboard PS/2 ports are fried, your PC thinks that a
>> PS/2 keyboard is connected and your BIOS defaults to no USB keyboard
>> support when PS/2 is connected?
>>
> Check for bugs shortening the ports?

When PS/2 connections didn't work, I blew out the connection with compressed air.  No joy.

> Did you try to plug a keyboard in the "mouse" PS/2 port?

As a matter of fact, yes I did.  But, the problem started so suddenly, and since no PS/2 connections were in use at the time, I was always sceptical that PS/2 ports were the issue.

> I haven't yet needed to "debug" I PS/2 port, but I'd look at least for
> the Vcc +5V on pin 4 (pin 3 GND) with a DMM.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port

Read that article earlier and I DO have >+5V, according to my ancient and trusty VOM.

> Or even plug the scope in it and look for the clock and actual
> communication. Do you have anything that can be used as oscilloscope?

Sadly, no.

Given that the PC was intended to be my low stress work machine and since work is piling up, I am going to try installing the motherboard from the system I was trying to get running properly with much higher stressed pparts and, if it works, I will get another of the same from the vendor who still supports FX CPUs.  I may take Curt up on his offer to 'scope the board at a later date as it has been a rock solid performer and I know someone who can use it.

But disconnecting most hardware (including HDD) will shorten the test cycle.

Try pressing F6 at POST, to get to the BIOS flashing?

Does (any of) the keyboard(s) light up at boot (e.g. NumLock LED)?

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Perhaps your motherboard PS/2 ports are fried, your PC thinks that a
> PS/2 keyboard is connected and your BIOS defaults to no USB keyboard
> support when PS/2 is connected?

Check for bugs shortening the ports?
Did you try to plug a keyboard in the "mouse" PS/2 port?

I haven't yet needed to "debug" I PS/2 port, but I'd look at least for
the Vcc +5V on pin 4 (pin 3 GND) with a DMM.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port
Or even plug the scope in it and look for the clock and actual
communication. Do you have anything that can be used as oscilloscope?

Kalin.