Re: [tlug] BIOS / Video Problems

Update Time:

I stuck a copper ground spike in the garden outside the window with about 1.5M of solid copper wire attached.  I crimped a ring connector on the other end and tried a number of different configurations.  Nothing made a difference.  Performance continues to be exactly the same as before -- I can boot into the Debian command line but cannot reach BIOS.  I cannot open the DVD/CD nor use the keyboard until the OS loads and I am asked for Username and P/W.

- I connected it to the case at the PSU
- After that, I clamped the ring connector to the ground wire connector on the power cord
- I also tried running speaker wire from the case to the house ground (I found a system ground connector box and the carpenter who built the house showed me an unused connector in the wall socket box which I twisted speaker wire on to)
- I finally exchanged the PSU for my spare one
- I also tried booting with the DVD/CD disconnected and with a DVD/CD different unit that had been in a box in a closet and not exposed to the house fire

- I monkeyed with GRUB so that the machine would load directly into memtest.  It ran for 12 hours (eight complete passes running all tests once per pass) with zero errors in case there was a ground issue created by water that I'd missed.

Nothing changes the outcome
Any suggestions what I should try next?  Is it new motherboard time or have I missed something?  I hate feeling like a parts installer instead of a "real" mechanic.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 11:19 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Sure, permanent solution is good, but may be hard.
> Try temporary something, if house is old it uses metal pipes, ground to a water pipe e.g. with speaker wire.

The house had its kitchen and bathroom "reformed" before we moved in.  The pipes are all PVC.

> Don't try the new PSU before fixing the grounding.

I have two shiny new copper ground spikes with attached wires.  Look to be about 16GA. My box of loop connectors and crimping tool survived the fire so, in the morning, I'll ground the case and see what happens next.

--
CL

  As for grounding ... this is rural Japan where they don't believe that you need more than a 20A breaker for the power in your entire house and why waste copper with a third wire.
... I know the feeling....

  We have to turn off the heater and unplug the refrigerator just to use either the oven or IH cooktops.  We've upped the breakers to 50A and it still isn't enough.  Tepco is warning that 60A is as far as they want to push the wiring in this house.  I have been thinking about dropping a copper spike into the garden outside the office window (didn't need one at my old place) and
will check the prices at Home Joy Honda this afternoon.
I was limited at 40A :-)

Sure, permanent solution is good, but may be hard.
Try temporary something, if house is old it uses metal pipes, ground to a water pipe e.g. with speaker wire.

Don't try the new PSU before fixing the grounding.

Kalin.