Re: [tlug] Python 2x3 [was: Um, so... systemd?]

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 09:04:35PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Christian Horn writes:
>  > On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 04:59:59PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>  > FWIW, Red Hat [1] released RHEL7 in 2014 with python 2.7, and rpm/yum
>  > are using it.  Chances that this gets changed over the RHEL7 life-
>  > time are probably not big.
>
> My understanding from Nick Coghlan is that this is Case 1 (one of the
> "good reasons" for using Python 2.7).  It doesn't immediately justify
> writing and maintaining 2/3-compatible code, at least if you're doing
> more than just maintaining the status quo features.  Am I missing
> something?

Can't comment on 2/3 compatibility, I guess everybody has to make the
call for himself if the pain justifies the gain.

>  > It's also rather likely that we fix issues, and that these are
>  > pushed to upstream python 2.7 as per our policy.
>
> Well, if by "push" you mean providing a patch on the tracker.  They're
> not applied to the distributed tree (except for security fixes and
> maybe doc fixes).

I dont have details about the willingness of 2.7 upstream, but
what gets released in RHEL is also made available as sourcecode.
If there is upstream, then the ways to fix things are also dis-
cussed there, of course.

Chris