Re: [tlug] Um, so... systemd?

On 2017-01-16 10:41 +0000 (Mon), Darren Cook wrote:

> It'll be interesting if, in 2.75 years, all the fears and anger over
> Trump turn out to be a non-event, too. A bit like systemd, maybe
> everyone will just shrug and go: he's just about as good and bad as the
> previous guy.

The big difference here is that there's not a large group of people
voting for any change whatsoever simply becuase they so utterly hate
the current system. (I am likely the biggest /etc/init.d and run-level
hater here, and even I wouldn't vote to just chuck it out for anything
else.)

I think you'll find that most people who are in favour of systemd are
so because they took a bit of time to learn it, found it was better in
many ways, and decided that there's enough long-term gain to make the
short-term pain worthwhile.

> In the past 12 or so months I've become aware of a server using
> systemd when I went to look at a log file. It took 15 minutes of
> googling to find out the alternative.

Yup. I've had the same issues with yum; a half hour or more of tearing
my hair out to do something I could have done in 30 seconds with apt.
That makes yum totally awful, of course, and RH/CentOS so bad that the
world would be a much better place if every server running it were
immediately wiped. The problem is that there's a lot of RH/CentOS
users who are very much pleased with an inferior system so long as
they get to enjoy my Debian tears.

Now, let's start in on why PHP is clearly so much better than Ruby and
Python.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974