Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On 12 May 2016 at 15:56, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2016-05-12 08:05 +0200 (Thu), Christian Horn wrote:

> I just imagined someone running automated build and functionality
> tests upon each commit.

By that point it's too late. I strongly disapprove of people who commit
(or, at any rate, push commits) without having done appropriate testing
first.

That depends on what branch you are committing to.

A VCS is not only for version control, it also serves as a backup of your work.

Imagine you are doing a major piece of work that will require several weeks of effort before it is in a state where it can be tested. You still want to be able to commit while you are doing this work, even if you cannot really test it yet.

Of course you do not want to break the main branch while you are working on this, therefore you commit it to a private branch until you can test it, then merge it into the main branch once it passes whatever tests and standards may be agreed.

I have just run into this kind of situation where I didn't set up a branch and didn't commit because I didn't want to break the main branch and it didn't look like it was going to be as much effort as it turned out. By now I have 2 months worth of changes on my local machine that I haven't committed.

Yes, I did make regular backups to USB flash memory but those don't have any history like the repo would have had, had I made a separate branch and committed to that. This was most definitely not a good approach and I won't make this mistake again.