Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On 2016-05-10 07:31 +0200 (Tue), Christian Horn wrote:

> I agree, but the downside that one basically hands out the company
> data should also be mentioned.

In many cases, leaving your documents stored on Google's servers is
(sometimes considerably) more secure than usual document handling
practices in companies that don't take special pains about security.

> I wonder how smoothly one could work with multiple persons,
> using a versioning system for storing the shared document.

Brilliantly if the documents are in text format. (Millions of
programmers around the world do this every day.)

For documents in opaque formats, however, dealing with conflicts ranges
from a hassle to a nightmare. If you can manage to find a workflow that
avoids conflicts (someone changing a document before he has all changes
made by anybody else) then it still works pretty well. Sometimes using
things like a git-backed wiki can be helpful.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.