Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 02:17:02PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2016-05-06 17:47 +0900 (Fri), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > ...(and Google Docs, which does its best to
> > convince you that it's Office...).
>
> I'm pretty familiar with Google Apps for Work (which includes Docs,
> Sheets, Slides, Draw, and maybe a couple of other things depending on
> how you look at it).
>
> I don't find it tries to convince you it's actually Office. Docs
> has nowhere near the capabilities of Word, and Sheets nowhere near
> the capabilities of Excel. However, 95% (or more, probably) of the
> situations where someone uses Word/Excel/whatever use the 10% of the
> Office features that Google provides in their apps, so Google's apps
> wouldn't really benefit much from having more capabilities.
>
> The true brilliance of the Google apps, though, is one most people
> don't appreciate: much, much better collaboration than stand-alone apps
> running on PCs. That you don't make copies to give to people is a huge,
> huge feature, though it seems that most people don't understand that.

I agree, but the downside that one basically hands out the company
data should also be mentioned.

I wonder how smoothly one could work with multiple persons,
using a versioning system for storing the shared document.

Has anybody looked at the webbased libreoffice variants yet?
The last "free" things before google docs which I remember were
etherpad, still quite nice for most usecases.

Chris