Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Stuart Luppescu writes:

 > They are quite strict about it. I don't know if that's a UChicago thing,
 > or if all US universities are like that.

At least Stanford and Ohio State are like that.

 > I'm not sure how the other guy fixed his thesis. I assume, although I am
 > not at all proficient with MS Word, that he did something like highlight
 > the whole thing, and change the page settings.

I doubt he had to do that; there's a tab somewhere that describes all
the standard page settings, including margins, for the document.

My advisor was a stickler about widows and orphans, so I had to check
every page to make sure (of course TeX got that right).  As far as I
can tell (I looked but it was Japanese Word so I could easily have
missed something, or maybe Japanese just don't care), Word doesn't
take care of those for you.

 > The other annoying thing about having to reprint your thesis is
 > that it has to be done on approved University bond paper with the
 > University seal watermark. That paper ain't cheap by any means.

Ah, Stanford and OSU both just specify weight, rag content, and
whiteness.  Still not cheap, but having to buy from an approved
supplier seems likely to make things a bit more expensive.