Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Bruno Raoult writes:

 > You missed my point: The *huge* difference between using a
 > localtime and UTC HW clock is that in case of DST change you have
 > to *change* the HW clock twice a year (either by +1 or -1
 > hour).

Maybe in France, but AFAIK not in the U.S. since 1990 or so.

I am afraid you are wrong. Were you right, this would make no difference between
UTC and locale, or any other time in the world (just a translation).
This is surely not a French issue (Windows works like it was designed, and for
compatibility reasons, this was never changed since MS-DOS.)

The
system could reset the HW clock, but that would be a *bad* idea; all
your timestamps are off by an hour which screws up make, etc.)

This is what I say. The difference is that it *is* a bad idea. This is what localtime means
at hardware level. The BIOS clock shows what your watch shows.

  > And you have no way to know if it has been done or not.

AFAIK, you don't worry about it.  You set the time in the OS (*not*
the BIOS), and the OS computes the right epoch.  Where's the problem?

It is done at hardware level. This is the problem. If you know some friends in US
who use Windows (and HW localtime), ask them to check the CMOS time in winter and summer, you
will be convinced.

The issue with such a system is if you change time zones.  Then the
OS *is* going to get confused.

Exact, this is impossible to manage. That is why: no localtime for me.
Even Windows add a registry entry to know if they are in winter or summer, then they change
the CMOS time. So dual boot does not either for this system.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.