Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:
> In /etc/default/, you probably have a rcS and a rcS.dpkg-old (guess
> the /etc backup was unnecessary).  You can compare them; indeed, UTC
> has changed from no to yes.

Yes, and when I restored the original file, the problem seems to have
been resolved.

I suppose that if Debian/Ubuntu force this setting in the future, I will
have to make my Windows use UTC.

By default, it is always UTC in Ubuntu, except, if during the install, you
say somewhere this is a dual-boot system, in which case it would set the
time to localtime, with all the problems that come with this setup.

I don't remember to have seen this question, but as I never have a Windows
partition on my disk, there is no doubt. Maybe your 13.04 was a fresh install
and installed beside a Windows, or something like that. With "intelligent" guesses
from install scripts, it becomes difficult to understand the logic for some choices :-)

In both case, your choice is easy:
- Switching Linux to localtime is one line in a file.
- Switching Windows to UTC is one line in registry.

I would say equal difficulty. It would have been interesting to try the second solution, to verify
everything is OK, but this is your choice. Beside that, if you live in Japan, you avoid
all DST issues, and if you don't have a complicated network like DB server, communications
with other systems in different timezones, etc... it should be fine.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.