Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems

Bruno Raoult writes:

 > You missed my point: The *huge* difference between using a
 > localtime and UTC HW clock is that in case of DST change you have
 > to *change* the HW clock twice a year (either by +1 or -1
 > hour).

Maybe in France, but AFAIK not in the U.S. since 1990 or so.  A
Windows machine just does the DST adjustment at the OS level, the same
as Unix.  The only thing that's different is the zero point, and the
fact that IIRC the HW clock will be off by an hour during DST.  (The
system could reset the HW clock, but that would be a *bad* idea; all
your timestamps are off by an hour which screws up make, etc.)

 > And you have no way to know if it has been done or not.

AFAIK, you don't worry about it.  You set the time in the OS (*not*
the BIOS), and the OS computes the right epoch.  Where's the problem?

The issue with such a system is if you change time zones.  Then the
OS *is* going to get confused.