Re: [tlug] [Was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?] Changing subject in thread.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 03:36:17PM +0200, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> > Seriously, while I don't pretend to speak for everyone (or anyone besides
> > myself) on this list, I think it is safe to say the majority of people
> > would prefer that you stick with plain text, whether it can be handled or
> > not.
>
> Interesting. A reason of principle rather than practical, in 2013.

I'm going to repeat my example of visiting a house in Japan, and saying,
Well, there's no real need to remove my shoes, so I won't.

> This is why I wonder how TLUG people communicate with people who are
> not interested
> with IT or spending time on sending a simple (top-posted, in HTML and
> picture included)
> "Yes, Boudicca is fine after her operation" to their own group of
> friends, which could include
> TLUG members?

The same way a Japanese might act visiting an American house.
Actually, I've even found that some people are so used to top posting
(and that's not MS' fault, even mutt starts with the cursor at top, it's
just the general laziness of people) that if one posts in line they may
write back and say, I didn't see anything.  Nowadays, when I write any
business email, it's safer to begin (at the top) with
response in line, or something similar.

> Will you ask you 80 years old father to change? He will use *one*
> video chat system,
> likely skype, as the family is growing. And email flows quite well
> between a family,
> and second-level linked people. Imagine if one of them says "NO. I
> will refuse and
> filter your emails, your new husband ones, and anybody else". TLUG only *knows*
> the correct rules.

No, I wouldn't.  I deal with their html, top posted, untrimmed email if
necessary, just as I do in business.  In the same way, if you expect
everyone to take their shoes off when they come to your house, but for some
reason, you have to call the police, you're probably not going to ask them
to take off their shoes first.

That's not the point though. The
point is that on this list, you are requested to use proper (by the old
fogies standard) netiquette, which still has value for many reasons.  HTML
mail?  Consideration of the fact that some people pay for bandwidth, and
you save theirs, as just one example.  There are various reasons for it,
and you are, by joining the list, going into someone's house, so to speak,
so you should be polite enough to remove your shoes.  There's no harm in
asking the reason for it, but Stephen has, IMHO, given excellent answers
for most of it.

> I agree with Benjamin on many points.
>
> Not to change TLUG rules, of course. But getting small tsunami from
> time to time can only
> be good, if we expect this list to survive the more strict of us, and
> adapt to newcomers, who
> will handle it soon or later.

Well, this list is much less active than it used to be, and if it gets
taken over by newcomers one day, it can be yet another top posted, html
list with text abbreviations, and the older members will probably just
leave.

> <important next-poll-request=yes>What about doing something different
> than some guesses about members position?</important>

Important to who?

If you wish to start a poll about it, feel free to do so.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6