Re: [tlug] [Was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?] Changing subject in thread.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 08:12:14PM +0200, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
> > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computerataijutsu/threadhijack.jpg
> >
> > Which shows how an email client that properly handles threading doesn't
> > see a change of subject as creating a new topic.
> >
> > Tlug has some good links about this, mostly by Godwin in his angrier days.
> >
> > http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
> >

> Ooops. beside the 404 for your first link, I understand current software are
> changing netiquette rules ? That I could not even split to a new one,
> keeping
> the history ?

Sorry, that should be
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/threadhijack.jpg

> Just this would need a new split, right ? A copy-paste with "OT", or "OTOT"
> ?
>
> You all are all clever, I know. I hope you don't consider I am very stupid
> myself.
> (I could be, but no more than you a-priori). And I do accept the list
> rules, and give
> apologiges. I think it is difficult to give more.

No problem, and it's not being stupid when you're not familiar with
something.

> So we have my initial thread:
> 1- About American cinema (yes, off-topic, I understand forbidden from *now*)
>
>     -- stopped

It should have just been marked OT.  I haven't followed the thread closely
and am too lazy to check the archives, so maybe it turned nasty, as things
do on the Internet.

>   1.1- About some software licence issues (on-topic in list, off for the
> thread)

>         -- stopped

>     1.1.1- About how to split a thread (on-topic in new thread, but
> different subject,
>              and off-topic in list)

As I think is stated in Godwin's wonderful article, you can do something
like
Software License [WAS American Movies]

(or whatever the subject line was in the original thread.

To a point, you're correct though--it can get overly complicated.
Also, please do make an effort to trim unnecessary parts from an email when
replying.    You may think everyone wants to see the entire original
thread, but we have archives, and mostly, it just takes up space.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6