Re: [tlug] [Was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?] Changing subject in thread.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:37:17PM +0200, Bruno Raoult wrote:

> > > I think the latter is more in line with rules and general etiquette.
> >
> > And usually with '[OT]' in the subject so that people who want to can
> > filter out off-topic conversations.
> >

> Would not this only apply if we continue the current thread itself,
> changing its name ?
> I mean, if we create a new thread from scratch, with no history (except
> some copies),
> what would be the point of the OT magic word, as this thread would be
> "on-topic" by
> default - at least at beginning ?

Generally, the list is supposed to be about Linux.  Of course, with any
group of people, other things get discussed.   The list isn't horribly
strict about it, but it is considered good form to us [OT] in the subject
line, indicating that this is a topic that those who only wish to view
technical things, can safely skip.

As for the changing the subject line--though most email clients are now
ignorant of various rfc standards, this is considered bad netiquette--the
header information will remain, causing something like this.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computerataijutsu/threadhijack.jpg

Which shows how an email client that properly handles threading doesn't
see a change of subject as creating a new topic.

Tlug has some good links about this, mostly by Godwin in his angrier days.

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6