Re: [tlug] sd-cards with wifi: nice small linux systems

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I guess, I have about 10% chance to get the timing right to be able to
>> preview a picture.
>> Then, I cannot delete them and I have to re-download them if I need
>> (preview data is thrown away)... and these a few tens of MB/pic for
>> D800...
>

> Does it mean there is no way (to stop/start the system and wifi, with for
> instance a button), so it becomes a "normal" SD card?

Camera thinks it is normal SD card. No there is no button, when it
gets power the radio turns on.

> If it is impossible to access data (let say pics) without an internal system
> running, using all
> battery resources, what is really the point of such cards ?

I doubt it. power on = radio on

> For instance, I use my camera maybe 4-6 times a year. Usually I just take it
> from a desk,
> and it still has battery enough (I recharge it *after* I use it, generally -
> of course, after not using for
> for 6 months, this could be not possible).

Once you turn the power of the camera off, it turns off, so no problem
with your usage pattern.
(that needs to be tested).

> If my understanding is correct, which advantage with this card ?

For me - no advantage as a consumer product. But if I am able to
install another kernel on it, I think I can get quite a few use cases,
totally unrelated to photography.

Cheers,
Kalin.