Re: [tlug] Changing subject in thread.

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:>
> Ooops. beside the 404 for your first link, I understand current software are
> changing netiquette rules ? That I could not even split to a new one,
> keeping
> the history ?

Sorry, that should be
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/threadhijack.jpg

I am not sure about the software you use for the screenshot, nor the options available,
and used about sorting/threading.

But gmail, that I use, is very bad for this. For instance, I did forward a tlug mail to a French
Linux group (the one regarding the WIFI SD card).
At first I thought it was a good idea. But it messes-up my gmail, and maybe the recipents
mails of my forward too.
I think I could have sent either a "copy" (which I don't like because of history loss) or a link to
some archive, but this is not easy at all, even if available in real-time.

> About American cinema (yes, off-topic, I understand forbidden from *now*)

It should have just been marked OT.

Yes, this is the main reason of my apologies. But I think I will use "off-topic" instead
of "OT", both help in filtering, anyway. I suppose it is OK.

>     1.1.1- About how to split a thread (on-topic in new thread, but
> different subject,
>              and off-topic in list)

As I think is stated in Godwin's wonderful article, you can do something
like
Software License [WAS American Movies]
(or whatever the subject line was in the original thread.

OK. Bad day today: I did change the subject, to which you already answered, in wrong order, and did put
the "Was" statement before the new subject :-)
I think I saw that sometimes, and did not take the time to double check what was the most usual
way to change a subject in a thread. This is not something we do everyday, even if we should. By
experience most mailing lists do have threads who go to 3-4 or more subjects from the initial one.

Well: It should have been been "New subject [Was: Old subject]", instead of "[Was: Old subject] New subject",
right ?
And the "Was:" part should be removed as well when answering to a mail already stating the "Was" part,
am I still right ? I did remove it anyway :-)

To a point, you're correct though--it can get overly complicated.

Yes, it is. And I must admit that different lists having different rules, it also does not help. For instance, the list
where I post usually today is a small group. Let say 10-20 people, maybe less than half active.
I try to always trim and avoid top-posting. But doing it all the time is not only time consuming, but also
meaningless, as readers do not care :-( Yes, yes, yes, bad excuse. But still an excuse :-)

Also, please do make an effort to trim unnecessary parts from an email when
replying.

I usually do. Except when I forget (I always write my answer first, then trim just before
sending it). I did forget. I suppose I do sometimes, maybe when this is in a "draft state".
Something like forgeting to put the neutral on gear before stopping my car engine. I forget it a
few times a year, for some unknown reasons, but nothing I can do about it: The result is immediate,
after engine stops a wrong way, correction is immediate, and (my) memory cleanup immediate, just waiting for next time :-)

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.