[tlug] GPL vs. paid version and ethics

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012, Attila Kinali wrote:

 i have heard enough
about Google that not everything in their development process is
how it should be.

Yes, but that is true of everywhere. Wouldn't it be boring to work in a perfect environment? No yaks to shave there! ;)

Much less the climate there.

I know many people who work for Google, in several different countries. Some love it (e.g. Steve Yegge), some are happy with reservations (e.g. Steve Yegge), and a couple have moved on to other things. In any large company, your experience will vary based on the location and team you're on.

A company can have a culture, but that will always be affected by local culture and personalities.

But the bottom line is that Google's development philosophy makes it very difficult for a team as you described to exist. And you have to admit that Google gas produced some excellent products.

My point is, that comercial software development as i know it sucks.

And my point is software development as you know it is not prevalent at many companies, and I would go so far as to speculate that it is not even typical, outside of say, the finance industry.

Cheers,
Josh

--
Cheers,