[tlug] GPL vs. paid version and ethics

Nowadays commercial software and open source co-exist. In particular a
common model is for a GPL version and then a paid version with more
features. E.g.
  http://www.infobright.org/Learn-More/ICE_IEE_Comparison/

In that particular case I was curious about "Multi-core query
execution". I wondered what would happen if I were to add that feature
(*) to the GPL version.

Legally I can do it.

If they host the source code, they could refuse to accept the patch, so
I'd have to branch, and then there are two versions going forward.

But I also wondered about the ethics. If I added that feature I cut into
their sales. Financing for the product goes down. Product quality goes
down. Well, in, one scenario.

Thoughts? Pointers to intelligent previous discussions on this topic?

Darren

*: An academic question; I am aware of how much work that could be, and
I have more interesting things to do.