Re: [tlug] Copyright and preserving TLUG presentations [was: ...How to Grok Logs]

Hi Raymond, Hi All,

You are right, we are just talking in an Moebius circle :-)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
I think to avoid talking in circles, you should understand
that your "original" point ... very, very original one ...
was about presentations done by TLUG.  If you want to
generalize it to sharing documents, then that sounds like a
different thread altogether.  :-)

Sorry, I only want to discuss TLUG presentations share... Nothing
else :-)

And my *personal* opinion is that if I did heaps of work to
prepare for a presentation and someone who wants to
translate it doesn't want to spend a few minutes to send an
e-mail to me to ask *beforehand*, then I'm really hesitant
to say "yes"...

Exactly what I said: "sharing on demand"... This is your choice (as
owner), after all... I can disagree, that's all...

Think of all the keystrokes you've typed in
this thread...and map that to how many individual messages
you could of sent instead.

To whom? I guess that for some (obvious) security reasons, there
is no contact information (but name) on TLUG announcements...
I checked all (and only) 2011 announcements.
So if I understand, I should:
1) follow every TLUG meeting list
2) avoid nomikai-only parties
3) find speakers name for technical ones
4) check if the same exact name is on TLUG member's list
5) If yes, contact him/her (with good chance this is the good one)
6) If not, or if 5 failed, google for this name, and find a new good candidate.

From 2 to 6 is time expensive, with no added value...

most Linux
distros would take the conservative approach and not include
such packages until the license is clarified.

Sure.

As a result, we sometimes take
the license attached to software for granted.

I do: I did never read the license attached with "ls". And I never will,
and I guess nobody did :-)

*BUT*, to come back to presentations, if I remember, the name of the
presenter (and/or writer) was on the presentation itself...
This means there is no real risk of copying it (if writer considers
somebody else could steal his work - which is current discussion).

just spend a few minutes and
send an e-mail to ask the author...

I surely don't want to SPAM anybody with the same name,
as explained above.

This will just not work.

Another option (this is the second I propose): Having a page in TLUG
with only technical presentations description, and a link to mail to (redirected
for obvious reasons) to the writer??

I try to find a good way, and I am not lazy.

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.