Re: [tlug] Copyright and preserving TLUG presentations [was: ...How to Grok Logs]

On Friday, June 22, 2012 09:37 PM, Bruno Raoult wrote:
This was my original point (many copyrighted documents are
available on
the web, but still publicly *shared*). Including your own
copy of your own distro.
This is why I wrote before about being lucky not to have to
ask to every guy involved
from kernel to user tools if I can get a copy of my Ubuntu...
I can send you this email because I did not have to do these
requests :-)

I think to avoid talking in circles, you should understand that your "original" point ... very, very original one ... was about presentations done by TLUG. If you want to generalize it to sharing documents, then that sounds like a different thread altogether. :-)

And my *personal* opinion is that if I did heaps of work to prepare for a presentation and someone who wants to translate it doesn't want to spend a few minutes to send an e-mail to me to ask *beforehand*, then I'm really hesitant to say "yes"... Think of all the keystrokes you've typed in this thread...and map that to how many individual messages you could of sent instead.

As for Ubuntu (and other open source software), they are released with a license attached to it. Without such a license, you generally cannot assume that permission is given -- this also applies to software. As Edward said, when the presentations were delivered, the presenters didn't give any permission. In essence, its like someone releasing software and not having a license attached to it; most Linux distros would take the conservative approach and not include such packages until the license is clarified.

    So please don't think that we're anti-sharing. We simply
    aren't.

I know you are not "anti-sharing", but presenters are surely
"sharing-on-demand",
compared to "sharing". This is in fact not related to
copyright...

Perhaps it is unfortunate that we don't read or look for that "gpl.txt" file or actually what comes up in the text box before we click "Agree". As a result, we sometimes take the license attached to software for granted.

It's there and if it isn't, then what do we do? We could assume that the software is open by default; or we could assume it is closed by default. Well, IMHO, the "right" choice is a third choice -- just spend a few minutes and send an e-mail to ask the author...

Ray