Re: [tlug] Copyright and preserving TLUG presentations [was: ...How to Grok Logs]

Hi Attila,

Wow, we are talking past each other.

Bruno, we are very much for sharing information in TLUG. Why else
would we be here?

Obviously...

The reason we can't just hand over a stack of
materials to you for sharing with your new LUG is primarily that we
simply don't have the stack of materials.

Sure, I can understand it...

The secondary issue, as
Steve has pointed out, is that we don't own the copyright, and thus
permission would have to be obtained from each original presenter
before you can post your translations on your LUG's website.

This was my original point (many copyrighted documents are available on
the web, but still publicly *shared*). Including your own copy of your own distro.
This is why I wrote before about being lucky not to have to ask to every guy involved
from kernel to user tools if I can get a copy of my Ubuntu...
I can send you this email because I did not have to do these requests :-)

If you want to post translations, you will need to:
1. Obtain the presentation materials
2. Obtain permission to post them

In order to do each of these things, you will need to contact the
presenter. There's no way around this. TLUG is not standing in your
way, and Edward has even offered to help you.

So please don't think that we're anti-sharing. We simply aren't.

I know you are not "anti-sharing", but presenters are surely "sharing-on-demand",
compared to "sharing". This is in fact not related to copyright...

This is fine. We may not agree, but both views can be understood (same as if your
neighbour votes right, and you vote left). No need to try to change other's view about
this, right?
I believe it is the same in our case... Not yours exactly, obviously (as we are discussing
about third party people, who think about copyright material). I cannot change their mind,
they cannot change mine :-)

Regards,

Bruno.

--