Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

Le 13/04/2012 05:40, Christian Horn a écrit :
> We can do this in LVM layer with the new 'thin provisioning' implemen-
> tation which is in >=3.2 .  With a decent enough LVM you get then when
> creating a volume group a /dev/vgroup/pool and logical volumes can take
> from the pool - and put back which is unused.

Unfortunately, lvm is no match for btrfs, as it just manages the block
layer. btrfs does on-line resizing ; Any change in lvm implies shutting
off and resizing the filesystem.

> Its there for quite some time, for enterprise distros since RHEL6.0 or 6.1 .
> Also working on LVM layer: you take a snapshot and perform your upgrade.
> You then either decide that the upgrade went well and throw the snapshot
> away, or you decide for the rollback and merge the snapshot back into the
> original volume.

You'll have to change fstab & grub entries.
With btrfs you just designate the new 'default' root subvolume.

Francois