Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:07:38 -0700
Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:

> On 4/10/12 14:33 , Attila Kinali wrote:
> > These days, i recomend only one scheme for laptops: /boot (20-100MB)
>
> > / (encrypted)
>
> So you're not even separating out /home anymore?

No. As i said, for a single user system it doesn't make sense.
If i fill up /home, i know i've filled it up and have problems anyways.
If i fill up / i want to notice it as soon as possible. And as i am
the only user on the system, there is no need to isolate users from
each other (or their stupidity for that matter)

> I'm not too partial to having to restore /home after an upgrade, so
> while I can see an argument for putting everything but /boot into an
> encrypted / (especially on a laptop), I think I'd really rather have a
> separate /home. I'll take my chances on having to re-do it once over
> knowing I have to re-do it with every upgrade. And with a 750 GB disk, I
> can give / more than it'll ever need and still have a huge /home.

Uhmm.. I hardly ever reinstall a system, once installed. And upgrades
have never eaten my data (diying disks did, but never upgrades).
My usuall life cycle of a machine (desktop, laptop or server) is
install system - upgrade - upgrade - upgrade - reuse machine for something
completely different by killing the system and reinstalling from scratch.
This cycles length is usually something of in the region of 5 to 7 years.

			Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin