Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:16:53 -0700
Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I stumbled across this article:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> Now, that just seems wrong to me; it's not the Unix Way to be unable to
> boot without /usr mounted.

Yes. All Hail Pöttering!
(insert curses here)

> However, looking at the list of distros that are either already using
> systemd or have it in testing, and the fact that it has been proposed as
> a dependency of Gnome 3.2:

Yes, What did you expect? It's shiny, it blinks, it violates all that
unix hold dear since the begining. Gnome and the freedesktop guy love it!

> makes it appear that systemd is the way of the future. Ubuntu isn't on
> that list, but if Debian has packages for it in Testing, chances are it
> may be coming to an Ubuntu Near You down the road a piece.

I hope not! If systemd will be the future, i choose to stay in the past.
I do not want my computer become something i have no fucking chance to
debug anymore (pardon my french). It's enough that i have to deal with
dbus already (and believe me i would deinstall it imediatly if it wasnt
a depency for some programs i need).

> As I prepare to upgrade my Envy 15 from Win 7 to Linux, what your
> thoughts around partitioning? Should I hold my nose and make a / big
> enough to contain /usr, or should I Do Things The Way I've Always Done
> Them, which is this partitioning scheme:

These days, i recomend only one scheme for laptops:
/boot (20-100MB)
/ (encrypted)

If you don't encrypt your / (which you definitly should with a laptop),
then merge /boot into /. Yes, there are reasons why one should use more
than one partition. But, the probability that you ever hit one of those
reasons with a single-user-laptop are pretty slim. And the additional
work partitions make, if their size is not choosen right are just not
worth it.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?