Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephenjturnbull@example.com> wrote:
I haven't used a Toshiba in two decades, and I quit because
of their nonstandard components.  Almost as bad as NEC.

For what it is worth, I have been using an ultralight NEC with Ubuntu installed.

in the 8.xx time frame, it was glitchy and prone to having poor battery controls, but it was far better than the default install of Windows Vista.

By 10.04, the computer ran flawlessly; even the screen brightness controls work.  The battery still gets 2.5 hours, after about 3 years of constant use.

NEC may be just another Zaibatsu that produces 3rd rate phones at exhorbitant prices, and it probably is destined for the same shallow grave that the Japanese old-school manufacturers are headed for, but I was pleasantly surprised by how excellently Ubuntu worked on it.

Now that I think about it, didn't Sony have this Zaurus-like creation with a full keyboard that ran Ubuntu?

--
Sincerely yours,

Jawaad Mahmood
http://www.jawaadmahmood.com