Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/12 01:06 , Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
>> I currently use Toshiba Dynabook R731/W2UB, but the current model is R731/39EB
>> http://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/120123r731/index_j.htm?utm_source=dynabook_top&utm_medium=left_navi&utm_campaign=r731
>>
> Interesting that you're running a Toshiba. I've had such bad experiences
> with Toshiba laptops (not just on Linux, but in general, although they
> were especially bad when Linux was involved) that I literally wouldn't
> take one for free. A shame, really. I love Toshiba's AV gear, but their
> computers, not so much.

Really?  What kind of bad experiences?

If someone asked me for a laptop brand suggestion, my first choice
would be Toshiba, especially in Japan [they're rarer outside of
Japan].  I've owned or used 3 and none of them failed on me.  The two
that I still own still run, even the on I purchased in the late 90s.
Their batteries no longer charge and have long been recycled...but
that happens with any laptop.

I recall one Japanese person who questioned why I own a Toshiba laptop
because they supposedly break after the warranty.  So it seems many
others have also had bad experiences with Toshiba...

Ray