Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On 10/19/2011 01:07 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
CL writes:

  >  I'll just send her a message from my keyboard.  She has both my phone
  >  mail and regular e-mail addresses in her address book and replies as
  >  appropriate.
  >
  >  CAVEAT:  We have Softbank phones and BB ISP services, so this may be a
  >  "special case."

So you have some program that allows you to sms to your wife's phone?
Surely "sendmail -s 'leaving work now' 090-5555-1212" doesn't work....

Oh ... that ... Skype is set to do that but, you're right about not being able to reply.

I have the alphanumeric SMS addresses for all the family phones in Claws Mail's address book and set the regular GOL and Gmail e-mail addresses, along with the SMS addresses in the appropriate family phones.

  >  Please tell me how you do that.  Ours is still at the Yahoo Kids,
  >  JumpStart, and Selena Gomez YouTube movies stage,. but it is already
  >  getting difficult to make her shut them off.

She doesn't know her own password.  If Mom gets mad, no YouTube (not
even after Mom goes to sleep).

I did that on my wife's machine and then ol' Mom saw a "Remember Password?" notice and clicked on "OK." That ended the password protection. So, we tried fingerprint ID, but fingerprints can't be shared with the other parent (like when Mom is teaching). I guess I'll erase the password cache and do a new password ... again ... for the fifth time (*sigh*).

For the shutting off part, I used to
have to pick her up and drop her in her bed or the shower as
appropriate, but now that she's in chu-gakko, the mere thought of
being touched by Dad is enough to make her behave.  This won't work on
boys, I'm afraid.

In our house, Dad gets to cook and help pick out what to wear to school, but no shower. I am still on bedtime reading duty. Guess I have a couple of more years' grace period before the chugakkou rejection sets in.

  >  After this, I'll have some questions about stopping kittens from
  >  knocking over 2TB USB HDDs and sleeping on them because they're
  >  warm ...

I think the kittens have it right.  Why not just get horizontal
enclosures for them?

They're Buffalo enclosures and are sort of ovoid when you look at them from the top down. So, when you lay them down, they rock back and forth, which intrigues the kittens for an entirely different reason. I am thinking about putting a shelf above the HDDs so that the kittens have a flat, warm place to nap, but one of the adults likes to kick them out as soon as there is an easy way to warm up.

--
CL