Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Oct 18, 2011, at 11:05 PM, Raedwolf Summoner wrote:

> And the "new" teeny-bop OS stuff on iPads/iPhones/whatnot is really
> not the future. Not for real computing.

The future of "computing devices" is _not_ real computing. The day "tech" people will wrap their mind around that we'll stop have silly discussions about mice and Ubuntu's design etc.

"Real computing" is a sub-genre of "computing devices" use. An extreme minority I should add.

For 1 person who does "real computing" with multi-monitors, keyboards and mice, you'll have 1000 people (at least) for whom "computing" will be talking to their coffee machine and doing "network" or "media" related things on their device.

Machines that do "real computing" will still be necessary though, because somebody needs to write the apps that run on the devices. But the era where 99% of the devices on the shelves can do real computing out of the box is over.

I'm betting that in 5 years from now we will be so totally outnumbered that we won't be able to understand each other. Desk computers will be  to the device users then what the command line is to most computer users now. I'm also betting that in 5 years from now, most computer makers will have very seriously streamlined their lineup and will offer much less "standard" models and a lot more of "touch" things.

Think how the computing world was different 5 years ago. Only 5 years ago. A totally different paradigm has started.

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune