Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:41:22 -0400
- From: Scott Robbins <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- References: <email@example.com> <BAY166-W43246B93C742996C64C37AA2E50@example.com>
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.20 (2009-12-10)
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:05:46PM +0900, Raedwolf Summoner wrote: > Spot on. > > And the "new" teeny-bop OS stuff on iPads/iPhones/whatnot is really > not the future. Not for real computing. It is fine for teeny-bop "social > networking" apps that run on "monitors" the size of your hand, but > try that nonsense when you're working with real programs on a couple > of monitors both of which are bigger than my old TV was. You'd have > to create new Wing Chun katas and incorporate them into your > computing. All that flailing about would get old fast. And I've never > seen a keyboard replacement that really works with an app that > actually requires the kind of input that a keyboard does best. I have the same feeling. My feeling, especially since, with a job change, I'm mostly RH now, (and going there from the BSDs was a shock--see a bunch of programs running at boot, hit man <program_name> and find nothing), and what I see in Fedora which is the test bed, in theory, is that developers seem to be kids with smart phones. GUI boots by default, all the bloat possible, the rather fun one, where the GUI package manager, packagekit, didn't require any authentication for installin packages. A bug was filed, the developer said, You've given no reason for the complaint, the filer said, Because asking for passwords for system changes is how Unix has done it for 40 years, to get the answer that the developer didn't care how Unix has done things for 40 years--that made the front page of slashdot, and Fedora decided to change it. Anaconda has crippled text mode (with a spin worthy of Windows Genunine Advantage, they call it streamlined and simplified), and several text based, well curses based, tools, have in their man page that they are deprecated in favor of the GUI. They will have far more limitations than their GUI equivalent. The old troll statement was, BSD is for people who love Unix and Linux for people who hate Windows. It's becoming more and more true with some of the desktop distributions. > > > > I have looked around the net, and the hatred for Unity and > > Gnome3-shell is pretty significant. On Fedora forums, they did a poll--while certainly not very statistically accurate, a surprising percentage preferred Gnome 3--I think the new crop of smart phone kids likes this stuff and wants their pretty GUIs and hate those ugly text messages when booting, and... Ok, I've definitely become an old curmudgeon, I'll stop now. -- Scott Robbins PGP keyID EB3467D6 ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 ) gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
- Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- From: Raedwolf Summoner
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links