[tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

Hi *,

Michael-sans mail on linux@example.com made me think a bit
on this topic.

I recently talked to some people looking for new employees.  My
requirement to use linux on the workplace made one of them even
laughing, I am wondering what is to special about it.

At my current employer in a big corporation windows is the default
workplace-OS.  I am tolerated thou in using linux on the workplace.
My arguments for doing this are:

- its the most appropriate tool for my work (linux engineer/sysadmin);
everything in place for kerberos/ldap/dns/nfs/svn/etc.-interaction
with the servers/services i use for my daily work
- linux is better known to me.  Over the linux-years i have build up
a nicely customized workenvironment (windowmanager, scripts,
editors..) - windows is just to a fraction of that configurable.
It would practically hurt to do my work with it.  Maybe macosx is
a bit more configurable.
- i got new knowledge in some areas using linux for all tasks the
collegues do with windows.  There is a vpn-software to be used to
reach many tasks, authentication via smartcard.  So the workings of
a windows-software were explored, linux-smartcard software extended
to work with corporations kind of smartcards.  A patch for the
Strong/Openswan ipsec-clients was developed so the administration-vpn
can be accessed from linux (that patch wont make it upstream thou,
the vpn-configuration in use is not RFC-compliant, i practically
patch checks out of the ipsec-client).

What are your experiences with your employer?
Maybe others just dont feel any pain in using windows for their work
when something different would suit much more?
I know some shops saying 'use the OS best working for you and just
do your work'.

Christian