Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:

> What are your experiences with your employer?
> Maybe others just dont feel any pain in using windows for their work
> when something different would suit much more?
> I know some shops saying 'use the OS best working for you and just
> do your work'.
>

> Christian

Well, "technically" we are only allowed to use Windows, but they have
virtually zero IT policy enforcement. In fact I am free to get into the BIOS
and change the boot order, which is why I was able to use the Live Linux
USB to boot off. My coworker runs Windows in VMWare on Ubuntu, but
he's been around forever and is sort of a technical/programming god to
the rest of the company. He gets to do whatever he wants. HAHA.

Going completely over to Linux for me though at work would be practically
impossible though, as 1) I am a Linux noob. Just use it at home for home
stuff, and 2) I need to be able to use Excel in it's native environment in
order to maintain the integrity of the text data the dev uses in the game.
I once made some changes using Gnumeric and it broke the data in
multiple ways. Also, we make heavy use of VBA in the files.

If we could force our devs to use open source filetypes then this wouldn't
be a problem. Unfortunately that's just a dream at this point. =D

-Mike