Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:43:13 +0200
Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:

> What are your experiences with your employer?
> Maybe others just dont feel any pain in using windows for their work
> when something different would suit much more?
> I know some shops saying 'use the OS best working for you and just
> do your work'.

I've been in a few companies over the last years and, well.. it's
a windows world.

Linux is at most tollerated. If you are in a big company (like
a swedish-swiss manufacturer of anything that runs electricity),
you get a windows laptop that is to 100% managed by a company with
three blue letters. No way you can connect your own machine to the
network or even think of administrating it yourself. Everything is
company owned and has to follow the procedure (heck, you cannot
even walk over to the on side trouble shooter and ask him something
as he cannot tax you for it if you dont open a trouble ticket).

It is better in SMBs, though the IT department there, if it even
exists, is pretty much clueless. If you are on good terms with
the guy who manages the network you can pretty much do anything
you want. Get a box, install linux on it, get work done. But do
not expect anyone knowing anything about security, or how to set
up boxes in a way that people can get their work done without
worring about this or that installation. You need a service from
one of the servers? Either you've root/Administrator and can set
it up yourself or you have a very convincing argument why Mr. IT
has to spend a day to figure out what you are talking about.

Currently, i'm working at a company that runs its central server
on linux, though all clients are windows. There is no IT guy or so
to speak of, but interestingly the head of the company would
imediatly switch to all-linux-clients if it wasnt that 90% of
the software we have to use is windows only. But sofar i'm the
only one who has a PC running linux under his desk... right
next to the windows box.

				Attila Kinali
--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to