Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

On 13/07/09 08:40, Dave M G wrote:

> I don't think the salespeople are trying to rip you off or anything,
> they just aren't set up to handle exotic situations too far from the
> average consumer's needs.

It's too common an occurrence for this to be an "exotic" situation. I'm a
regular participant on the Nokia Support Discussion forums (you'll see me
there under the name "grschinon") and the number of times I've heard people
say they've been told by their operator that they need a data plan to use
WiFi at home or that the operator will charge them for WiFi usage at home
(not in a public hotspot or a hotspot managed by the operator) is just too
high for it to be coincidence.

It is well-known that operators the world over will resort to bald-faced
lies in order to separate a customer from their cash, even more so to squirm
out of a sticky situation and shift the blame elsewhere (eg. blaming the
operator's slow if at all existent updates of branded firmware on the phone
manufacturer).

While I have no experience whatsoever of a Japanese mobile network operator,
here in Europe and also in the US I would not be in the least surprised if
an operator did try and pull a fast one like that. It's standard procedure.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
 massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
 source of mind boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
 it."
                      -- Gene "spaf" Spafford (1992)