Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

Johan, Shawn,

They are just trying to sell the data plan.

Just backing up what Johan says. You can definitely use the phone with just WiFi and never connect to a 3G network if you're careful.

I don't think the salespeople are trying to rip you off or anything, they just aren't set up to handle exotic situations too far from the average consumer's needs.

You could try and purchase the phone outright for full price (60,000+ yen). That might help make SIM card issues irrelevant. However, if I were you I'd be prepared for the very likely chance that they are only prepared to sell the phone under certain terms, and not have a lot of flexibility.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G