Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

Shawn,

I wanted a minimum plan to have when I need it.  I can' get that though.

Yeah, the Google phone is part of their "Pro" series, targeted at heavy users looking for a full experience. Definitely not suitable if you are trying to economize your usage.

That said, the phone does allow you to prioritize WiFi access over the cellular network. So, if you just wanted the phone for testing purposes and had absolutely no intention of using it day to day, you could just keep it within known WiFi hotspots. When I'm at home, it exclusively uses my home WiFi access.

You'd have to be pretty determined, though, because you would have to turn it off any time you transported it between WiFi zones in case the phone did some check of your calendar status or something. If you were that strict, you could potentially pull off only paying the minimum per month.

I could only imagine that would make sense for a developer or someone who was likely to leave it on their desk beside the computer where they do their coding or whatever. For any normal user, though, the hassle and potential to forget would be way too high.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G