Re: [tlug] Setting up a RAID 1 with Ubuntu (Was: Hard Drive Failure)

TLUG,

Sorry to follow on my own posting, but I just noticed this line in the instructions that kind of freaked me out:

" RAID drives have an eerie habit of all failing around the same time, especially when they are identical models purchased together and put into service at the same time"

I know that "eerie" occurrences are less likely than one imagines, but still, I can see the logic in drives that are identical in both origin and use might have similar lifetimes.

As long as one has a drive that is identical in specifications, might it not be a good idea to not have identical brands?

In fact... now that I'm thinking about it... It took about two years or more for my last drive to fail. Long enough that the exact model of hard drive is no longer available, only ones very similar to it.

So if I have a RAID system, and a drive fails a year or more from now, I might have to swap in a similar but different HD anyway... will that be a problem at that time?

--
Dave M G