Re: [tlug] Wanna see my open source project? (Was:Thunderbird RSS different from FireFox?)

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Marty Pauley <marty.pauley@example.com> wrote:
2008/8/17 Ian Wells <ijw@example.com>:
<snip>

I agree too.   User-agent detection for feature support is a really
bad idea.  The only thing it will produce is annoyed users.
<snip>
The same for any browser feature: test the feature; don't decide based
on user-agent.

The biggest issue is the fact that new browsers come out and call themselves different things.  Some even flat out LIE in order to get past web developers that are biased against a set browser.  Others will claim to be whatever their render-engine is.  :P  That works fine and well for graphics and layout but doesn't tell you squat about cookie and form support.