Re: [tlug] Wanna see my open source project? (Was:Thunderbird RSS different from FireFox?)

2008/8/16 Kenneth M. Burling Jr. <burlingk@example.com>:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:01 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
>> By the way, I've narrowed down the cookie/header problem to somewhere
>> within the scripts that try to determine if the browser accepts cookies.
>> Largely I assume mobile phones don't and desktops do.
>>

> In the long run that will cause you problems.  A better method may be to
> offer it a test cookie then try to read the test cookie.  Most of my
> cell phones have supported cookies so far.

Seconded.  It's going to be a problem with browsers in general, but
specifically, I wouldn't trust an RSS reader to necessarily respect
cookies.  A simple RSS reader might, for instance, just go for the RSS
feed, read it, and be done (think a script with wget for instance) -
one request, therefore you would never see a cookie at your end.
(Though it also wouldn't surprise me if your useragent parsing was
crashing on unexpected input ;-)

--
Ian.