Re: [tlug] Wanna see my open source project? (Was:Thunderbird RSS different from FireFox?)

2008/8/17 Ian Wells <ijw@example.com>:
> 2008/8/16 Kenneth M. Burling Jr. <burlingk@example.com>:
>> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:01 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
>>> By the way, I've narrowed down the cookie/header problem to somewhere
>>> within the scripts that try to determine if the browser accepts cookies.
>>> Largely I assume mobile phones don't and desktops do.
>>>

>> In the long run that will cause you problems.  A better method may be to
>> offer it a test cookie then try to read the test cookie.  Most of my
>> cell phones have supported cookies so far.
>
> Seconded.

I agree too.   User-agent detection for feature support is a really
bad idea.  The only thing it will produce is annoyed users.

For cookie support the correct method is the one Kenneth mentioned:
set the cookie and check it worked.  That will even cope with users
who decide for each site to accept or reject individual cookies.
There is no other possible way to handle that.

The same for any browser feature: test the feature; don't decide based
on user-agent.

--
Marty