Re: [tlug] Kana-Problems

Niels Kobschaetzki writes:

 > I never talked about the entire portfolio - I talked about the
 > stuff that runs in the background which the user "can't" see.

Er, no.  Here's what you were talking about, in your own words:

    I like my desktop-system up to date and I have not the time to
    follow the changelogs of the 1000+ ports I have installed right
    now to check if it is necessary to install updates. I expect a
    useful result from an update.

If you want to change the subject, be my guest.  But you'll have to
start over again from scratch in terms of supporting your claims.

 > All the non-Linux-open source-software I use on my Mac gives me
 > regularly new features w/out breaking the system. But usually that
 > isn't software that can break anything because they run only in
 > userland.

You obviously don't use DarwinPorts and/or GNOME ports to the Mac,
then.  I have continuously had open tickets in MacPorts since 2004.  I
would guess I see update breakage on average once a month.  Most of
them don't stop my show, but they are annoying.

 > How about the consumer-market?

There is no consumer market for Linux that can support the kind of QA
that Apple and Microsoft do.  Ubuntu doesn't come close, and AFAICT
that's not a business, that's Shuttleworth's hobby/charity -- heavily
subsidized by his *past* successful businesses.

You'll note that Ubuntu is attempting to move into server space.  I
wonder why?

 > Still I think the best way to go would be for example for FreeBSD a
 > -devel-port for every port and a non-devel-one.

Debian has a much finer-grained system than that, as does Gentoo.