[tlug] Kana-Problems

Niels Kobschaetzki writes:

 > I got my system updated in the last days and suddenly I have a
 > strange problem.

Sudden, yes, strange, no.  "Don't fix what ain't broke" unless you
have the inclination to unbreak the fix.

 > I did a fc-cache -f but that gave me only the situation described
 > above, before there were only boxes. A hyphen is substituded by
 > some random Hangeul-syllable.

At some point some, er, contributor unconditionally added a bunch of
Asian fonts to /etc/fonts.conf in the fontconfig distribution (the
main config file for fontconfig).  Some of these fonts claim to handle
languages that they don't.

Organization of fonts.conf varies hugely across distributions, so
you'll have to look at your own.