[tlug] [OT] Any electricians / electrical engineers around?

TLUG,

I'm going on the premise that there is some overlap between people interested in software engineering and the type of people who like to get hands-on with hardware.

I'm looking to build a very simple set of led lights arranged in a circle, kind of like what can be seen here:
http://www.edmstudio.com/ringoffire/index.html

I've been doing some experiments with Christmas lights, and looking around Akihabara at parts, and I'm pretty sure I make something that will suit my needs.

I built a light table once, and so while I think I can handle simple builds, I know that there are some potential gotchas when dealing with electronics.

So I'd like to consult with someone who is experienced with electronics before I undertake this project. Just to ask some simple questions and be advised of any cautions.

If anyone would be willing to answer a few questions by phone or email, please let me know off list.

Thanks.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G